mobile='yes'

Friday, March 16, 2012

end of term!

oh boy it's really really whizzed by. while my brain has been on holiday since tuesday, my body has actually been attending classes till the very last. just realised that when we come back after easter break, it's 3 weeks of classes, 2 weeks of self-study, OSCE and then finals. in other words, summer term is only 6 weeks long. and then i'm done with first year? already???! 

bounded out of medsch after our last lecture and rolled straight to chinatown for some celebratory fried rice all by my lonesome. am strangely used to sitting alone and demolishing my mountain of rice.

the staff know me (sigh) and are quick to produce my usual. and because i'm too shy to talk to the waiters in chinese, the other chinese patrons think i'm BBC and make snide comments about how i'm on my own and how i eat so much it's not very lady-like under their breath. in chinese. which, of course i understand perfectly! but i enjoy the solitude, and eavesdropping on the surrounding conversations. people watching and inevitably laughing at the guai los who struggle through the menu and end up ordering "house special chow mein" and, god forbid, chips. 

IN CHINATOWN! oh the sacrilege. then again, they can't really be faulted if it's on the menu. which self-respecting chinese restaurant serves CHIPS?!

and it's tit for tat, really, because i'm sure the locals look as me just as quizzically when i go to a pub and order diet coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment