mobile='yes'

Monday, June 1, 2015

street food


constantly grateful for foodie friends who're clued in to the best finds in each city. K, my cousin-in-law, visited my cousin C when she was in stockholm on exchange. he's not been back since but when i sent him the anthony bourdain kebab stand photo, he told me to get the tunnbrodsrulle without missing a beat. funny story there, the evening before i'd done something most geriatric and left F to nap back at the hotel. hadn't realised i'd pointed out said kebab stand before, and the sweet girl, bless her, brought back a kebab for my pre-dinner snack. now this was before i went crazy at koh phangan.

aside: was last at koh phangan with A and S and was well impressed by the authenticity of the thai food available in stockholm. shouldn't have been surprised, though, as there's a direct flight from bangkok to stockholm and many cross-cultural couples, lets just say ;) 

after kebab #1, i just had to go back for another. and got my wish the next day when i hatched a cunning plan to return. there was also stikkinikki gelato to head in the same direction for. nikki's was an institution by the water and when i was last there, it was summer 2010 and J and i were talking marriage and babies. in fact, when i told her we'd gotten engaged, she brought up our conversation and said something along the lines of, 'omg, everything's gone according to plan!" now it's not often that i've my ducks lined up in a row but that was one of the rare occasions where, yes, things did work out and i am more than grateful :) so you can imagine my horror when i went in search of nikki's but found it to be a generic shop! the hut was the same but it was selling, gasps, walls! thankfully the interwebs pointed me in the right direction there are now shops all over stockholm. oh the lofty peaks of gelato mountain, i mean it was a pint trying to squeeze into a tiny cup. much like me and skinny jeans after this trip.

the legendary tunnebrodsrulle - sausages, mash, shrimp cocktail. heart attack (or two) in a wrap. so. awesome.

and to my horror, my spirit sartorial twin is a swedish father of two. time to up my game...


No comments:

Post a Comment