mobile='yes'

Friday, January 20, 2012

cultural differences

went by the GP surgery for my early birthday present, courtesy of the NHS. gotta love how they take care of EVERYTHING. it's really cradle to grave, like i learnt during social studies. much gratitude to the NHS for meeting my health and screening needs. wow. 

relatively discomfort-free morning aside, i traipsed to waitrose to buy lunch for tomorrow. funny story - the last time i'd to bring my own lunch for a wilderness trip, i packed steamed tofu, mushroom and spinach in ziplock bag, and stashed it in a cylindrical tupperwear. little did i know that by the time i opened my lunch, on top of a freezing mountain, the contents looked like something a zombie (because they eat brains) might have regurgitated. the tofu was pulverised, the wolfberries looked like blood clots and the mushroom "juice" gave it a disgusting greyish brown tinge. everyone was too polite to say anything but boyy did i feel like a right royal retard, trying my darndest to chug the unintentionally liquid-diet with all the nonchalance i could muster. J might've noticed me cringe and very sweetly offered me some maltloaf to wash the mush down. so i made a mental note to subsequently eat what "normal people" eat - sandwiches, crisps and fruit. 

love supermarkets, and especially love waitrose. it's such an upmarket treat that i only go that way when i'm feeling decadent. the packed food section is a dream and i'd fun picking lunch for tomorrow. although i did get a little carried away and somehow left with lunch and dinner for today too! so tomorrow, as i tuck into my (very conventional) mushroom risotto and vegetable soup, i foresee no cause for shame :)

in other news, successfully unclogged the kitchen sink with my trusty bag of soda crystals that have seen me through too many burnt pots to count. need to hoover my room, and pack for the weekend away. not the partyanimer of fridays, but it'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment